What Is Polanight?
Polanight (sometimes called Pola Night) is powerful and effective take-home teeth whitening gel system from SDI Limited. The whitening agent for Polanight is based on carbamide peroxide gel. The full treatment takes up to 14 days and comes in 3 carbamide peroxide concentrations:
Note that purchasing Polanight through independant vendors (such as the above links) can save literally 100s of dollars but usually does not come with teeth whitening trays because it was initially sold only to dentists (who resold it and still resell it to patients for 10x the price or more!) Because the trays are a required component for this procedure, you will need to purchase them separately. For tooth whitening gel trays, Best Whitening recommends Professional Custom Whitening Trays or if you are in a hurry, Watts Dental Trays. The Professional Custom Teeth Whitening Trays take longer to make because they first send you a teeth impression kit which you must send back so they can make an exact custom fitted tooth whitening tray. This might seem like a hassle but Dentists charge $300+ for the exact same type of custom-fitted trays and a quality gel whitening tray can greatly improve the effectiveness of a Polanight treatment. However, if you are in a hurry or don't want to deal with it, go with Watts Trays which are essentially make-at-home trays.
A Polanight commercial that ran from their UK distributor
What is the Difference for Polanight Carbamide Peroxide Concentrations?
The 10% carbamide peroxide concentration is the most gentle but slow-acting tooth whitening treatment and is recommended for anyone with sensitive teeth or gums. 16% carbamide peroxide concentration is the medium strength option. If you have never used a tooth whitening gel before, we recommend starting with 16% because many people find 22% causes too much tooth or gum sensitivity. The 22% carbamide peroxide is the most powerful option with the shortest exposure time, fastest results, but potentially more irritating treatment to the teeth or gums. However, all concentrations of Polanight include a blend of natural conditioners and soothers to significantly reduce teeth and gum pain and sensitivity (a common side effect of any powerful tooth bleaching gel).
More Tips for Polanight
• If you don't know how sensitive your teeth are, it's a safe bet to start with the 16% carbamide peroxide concentration.
• Refrigerate the whitening gel when not using for an extended period of time but ensure it is room temperature before use.
• Dry your teeth with a tissue or cotton ball before gel application for greater effectiveness.
• During application, remove excessive gel from the gums using a tissue or cotton ball to reduce sensitivity.
• We do not recommend keeping the trays in overnight even with the 16% or 10% concentrations. If you do want to try overnight, for the first time, set an alarm for the middle of the night to see how sensitive your teeth and gums feel then. It could save you some pain from the next day!
• The best and safest way to start Polanight is to always begin with a shorter duration exposure and if the sensitivity is tolerable increase the duration (within the instructed limits).
Polanight has no serious health risks as long as it is used in the proper quantity, duration, and frequency as instructed on the package. However, be aware that the carbamide peroxide whitening ingredient in Polanight is a skin, eye and respiratory irritant. As with all teeth bleaching gels, minor and short-lasting sensitivity of the teeth and gums is a common side effect of normal use. If you experience extreme tooth or gum sensitivity or burning then you should either reduce the duration and frequency of use or discontinue the product entirely. In this case if you were using one of the higher carbamide peroxide concentrations (22% or 16%) then we recommend trying Polanight 10% as it is much more gentle.
For some reason, a number of customers have reported their dentist directed them to keep Polanight on their teeth for significantly longer than stated on Polanight's instructions, which resulted in extreme pain, tooth sensitivity, and stomach pain for days after. In such cases we recommend you bring this to the attention of your dentist but in any case, simply follow the instructions on the package (which will be based on the carbamide peroxide concentration of your gel), as this is the only proven safe and effective way to use the Polanight teeth whitening system.