Best Toothpaste to Whiten Teeth – How to Tell
How do you know if you have the best toothpaste to whiten teeth? It seems like a simple enough question but because of the nature of toothpastes, there are actually a number of different factors that complicate the answers. The manufacturers and brand advertising will often mince words because in principle, any toothpaste helps whiten the teeth with normal use so any could claim to be the "best whitening toothpaste" simply by claiming to be the best paste in general, even if it has no special additional whitening chemicals or properties.
Obviously brushing your teeth in general will help to keep them whiter so we see many brands add the keyword "whitening" to their name just by virtue of being a tooth paste… It is only a short step from here to claim to be the best whitening toothpaste without technically meaning 'best toothpaste to whiten teeth'. The bottom line is, “whitening” in the brand name does not mean it is a teeth whitening toothpaste. However, as the prospective customer, this is not what what we're looking for. By best whitening toothpaste, we explicitly want the best toothpaste to whiten teeth.
This video helps explain the concept in detail:
Therefore, we will not consider any toothpaste that simply whitens teeth "mechanically" (through the normal process of cleaning your teeth). This article will list toothpastes that contain whiteing agents and are also highly effective.
Everyone's teeth and mouth are different which means, unfortunately there is no single winner for the grand title of best whitening toothpaste. However, the news is not all bad. There is a best toothpaste to whiten teeth but this product will not be the same for everyone. The reasons for this are as follows:
First, there are two main categories of teeth whitening: stain removal and general (shade) whitening. Every toothpaste will help with both types of teeth whitening but some products are designed primarily for one or the other. When looking for your potential best whitening toothpaste, it is essential that you know what type of whitening you need.
The second reason is that everyone's body, lifestyle, and teeth are different. Consequently, the causes for teeth staining or darkening will be different, as will the solutions. Even the best brands have different strengths and ultimately your quest for the best whitening toothpaste may come down to trying different products to find the one that works best for you. When choosing your toothpaste it will help to remember you are selecting your best whitening toothpaste uniquely for you. There are countless toothpastes, many of them good, but there is no single all-in-all best whitening toothpaste. That said, here are some of the proven best whitening toothpaste top contenders:
Finding Your Best Whitening Toothpaste
When looking for the best whitening toothpaste there are several points to keep in mind:
• Know what type of whitening you need and what you want. E.g. stain removal, generally whiter shade, or maintaining your current shade from another whitening or bleaching treatment.
• Some people are sensitive to a number of different ingredients commonly used in whitening products. Knowing what ingredients you sensitive to will greatly simplify your search for the best whitening toothpaste.
• Genuine teeth whitening toothpaste (not just 'whitening' name branding) will list ingredients that specifically help with whitening and/or stain removal. Some of these ingredients include: baking soda, calcium carbonate, silica, aluminum oxide, and peroxide.
• Remember the best whitening toothpaste is not just which toothpaste whitens teeth the best. The 'toothpaste factor' is more important than the 'whitening factor'. You must be looking for a product that you can use long-term to maintain healthy teeth with no gum, teeth, or mouth irritation.
• Be patient. Even the best whitening toothpaste is designed for long-term results so you may not notice any effects weeks or even months.
Remember that there is no universal best whitening toothpaste. If one product works for someone you know but not for you then try a different product, don't give up hope. However, if you are looking for a powerful tooth whitener solution, even the best whitening toothpaste is not the answer and you should see our other recommendations such as strips (intermediate) or gel (most powerful).